- Caroling with the elves. Molly always serves sugar cookies when the elves come singing.
- Ice fishing off the sled with Santa. A few days after Christmas Santa and Jessie go out to the little hut to relax and look for fish. After a busy holiday season Jessie enjoys spending time with Santa and catching up on her sleep.
- Modeling the new coat Molly made her for Christmas. Jessie doesn’t really like coats but she likes making Molly happy.
- Helping to decorate the Claus Christmas tree. Molly taught Jessie to fetch the garland for the tree so each year Jessie helps to put the finishing touch on the Claus family tree.
- Sitting at Santa’s feet while he goes over the lists of naughty and nice children. Santa sits by a warm fire and reads the names. Sometimes he sends the naughty list to the fire so that all the children will get a gift.
- Warm milk by the fireplace with Molly and Santa.
- Traveling on the sleigh with Santa on Christmas Eve.
- Boxing day brunch with the elves. Someone always starts a food fight.
Molly glanced over her shoulder looking for Santa. Satisfied he was not in the room, she reached up and pulled down her tins and opened the lids. From each container she removed a list and placed it on the table. Molly smoothed the creases and glanced down to the floor.
“Jessie, I thought you’d gone out with Santag. Can you keep a secret, girl?” Molly pushed her readers up her nose and then peered over the rims.
Jessie barked and raised her paw for Molly.
Molly smiled. “I’ll take that as a yes. I’ve planned some special additions to the children’s baskets this year. It’s candy but it’s made with healthier ingredients. I’ve been hiding my recipes until I’m sure they’ll please the children. I made a batch of salt water taffy with half the sugar! Do you want to try a piece.
Jessie whined and turned in a circle.
Molly nodded her head and pulled a jar of candy off of the refrigerator and offered a piece to Jessie.
The candy was beige and smelled funky to Jessie. She sniffed the food and looked at Molly. She didn’t want to try the taffy but she didn’t want to disappoint Molly either. Jessie opened her jaws and snapped the candy into her mouth. she took two chews. The candy was bitter and grainy. She spit it out on the floor.
Molly’s face fell. “Don’t like it, girl?” Molly pulled the container up to her face and scrunched her nose. “This smells awful and probably tastes as bad. I wonder what happened with the recipe.” Molly sighed. “Am I crazy for wanting to improve my recipe, Jessie.’
Jessie looked curiously at Molly and then walked over to the table. She licked Molly’s hand before taking a long drink of water from her bowl. Jessie looked at the candy and pushed it with her nose towards the garbage can.
“Well I guess that answers that. I’ll have to start again. I haven’t got much time left before the candy goes into production for the year. Will you be my taste tester again, Jessie?”
Jessie wagged her tail. She loved candy and would eat anything Molly made. Jessie jumped up with her feet on the table and looked like she was smiling.
“Well, that settles it then. I’ll call you when I have a new batch made. Go and have a sleep until I’m done, Jessie” Molly began pulling ingredients from the cupboard.
Jessie thumped down to the floor and went to lay in front of the fireplace. Molly was a good cook and Jessie was sure her second batch would be much better. She licked her lips. When she woke she’d have fresh taffy but for now it was time to sleep. She drifted into dream land thinking about how great her life had become at the North Pole.
- Molly’s cookie tins smell amazing.
- Molly makes the best shortbread. She always makes a special batch for Jessie with applesauce in them.
- Molly is sweet and kind. she always stops to pet and hug Jessie.
- Molly makes Jessie warm clothes to keep out the winter chill.
- Molly has a bright and warm smile. She lights up the room.
- Molly loves children and does all sorts of volunteer work to help children from around the world.
- Molly loves to laugh at Santa. She gets a twinkle in her eyes just before she teases him.
- Molly is never late with Jessie’s supper.
- Molly likes to go for walks with Jessie and Santa.
- Molly smells like lavender and roses.
- Molly plays ball with Jessie for hours on end.
- When Jessie is sad Molly tries to cheer her up.